Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Amharic Fusion Experimentation

As a big fan of Ethiopian music, I wanted to try my hand at cutting up some Ethiopian music myself and seeing what sort of edits I could make of it. In this piece, I used some contemporary Amharic music, sourced from Youtube. I'd certainly rather have worked from aproper made in Ethiopia recording,but if you don't live in that area, your best bet is Youtube, with the assurance that the quality of the audio in the video, usually considered too low to sample from by most, is about as good as you'd get from any other proper source.

What i wanted to do is to see if other 3/4 timed rhythms would work with the roundy, triplet-based Ethiopian rhythms, so i chose a particular favorite ingredient, zapateado drums from Mexico, and used these two elements in combination with one another, with an added touch of bass drum to give it some thump. The video below showcases the results. It's a nice mixture of things, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment